Saturday, June 4, 2011

Muscular Development - June 2011 - Review

Muscular Development Magazine (MD) June 2011 features Arnold Champion Branch Warren on the cover. This issue is all about Branch and all the other MD athletes that did well at the Arnold Classic.  I really was a great contest for them  and it makes them a real threat at Olympia.  In this issue, MD was blowing it own horn a bit but 'it ain't braggin' if you did it'.

Best Quote: "Everything I have, I owe to Bodybuilding.  People ask me where I got my work ethic and my  discipline and it was from bodybuilding" - Branch Warren (p.180)

Highlight Article: "Is Arnold Champ Branch Warren the Next Dorian Yates?" -- This article explores exactly this question and the parallels are tight -- Dorian and Branch both work hard and do not care about what others think.  They both overcome genetic limitations through hard work.  Yeah, I think it is possible. (p. 176-187)

Best Regular Feature: At the risk of being redundant, No Juice Bodybuilding on p. 262 hit it again.  Layne Norton strikes again about not being a hater but instead focusing on self improvement.  Sorry the guy is really resonating with me right now.

Notable Articles:
1.
Team MD invades the Arnold: Branch Warren, Dennis Wolf, Victor Martinez and Evan Centopani -1,2,3,4 at the Arnold Classic.  Team MD interviews and a good look at each athlete. (p. 158-169)
2. Biceps Blitzkrieg! -- Dennis Wolf's bicep workout. (p192-201)
3. Victor Martinez Bigger and Better: Great look at The Dominican Dominator current Training and thus why he is re-surging. (p.204-213)

Duds:
1. Ramblin' Freak -- don't read it anymore, the f-word is substituted for the actual English language.
2. Any article about drugs and drug use in bodybuilding.  Trust me, I know that the whole issue is not as bad as people say, but by doing these your are endorsing the breaking of the Law.  I know some are legal, but it is the appearance of evil that bothers me.  Plus, being an natural bodybuilder, I can't use them.

Graphic Content Review:
MD is brilliant at times: their black and white photos are some of the best in the business.  However, they get both repetitive in their graphics and their overuse, in my opinion of black and white backgrounds.  There regular features never change their graphics.  You can definitely see that they are more concerned about other things than their graphics.

Eye Candy:
This month we have a triple threat: Bikini Competitors  Nicole Nagrani, Sonia Gonzales and Nathalia Melo.  MD does it right when it comes to eye candy this month.  Three top competitors wearing the bikinis they make look good in competition is the way to go.  Also, these ladies finished first, second and third respectively, so it was a top championship lineup.

Rating: 3 and half stars: Good at times, but lagging behind at times.  I liked the interviews and as always MD has lots of good info to digest.  Good to see Branch Warren and the rest of Team MD get their due respect as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment