Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Mass Monsters Brought It on Themselves and Other Thoughts on the New Physique Classes

Dana Linn Bailey (pictured above) made history by winning the first ever women's physique class at the NPC Junior USA Championships and now the world of bodybuilding will never be the same again.

The new Physique classes for both men and women has drawn a lot of fire from traditional bodybuilders and praise from others so I thought I would weigh in as it appears that it may gain in popularity.  I have a few observations and comments:

1. The mass monsters brought it on themselves:  For the last ten years or so or maybe longer, probably after Ronnie Coleman came out with his 3.0 version of himself (huge and freaky), the focus has not been on the trifecta of judging: Proportion, Symmetry and Size in equality but Size has superseded the other two in importance.  This is in part due to the bodybuilders wishes and that judges have allowed it.  The fact that the insiders let this go on has caused outsiders to stay away in part because they didn't see anything they liked.  The general population wants to see bodies that are appealing.  Sorry big without proportion or symmetry does not appeal to many people.  Men's bodybuilding, by focusing so much on mass, has eliminated some really good competitors in the past because of it but when we get to the women this becomes more seen.
Above is a picture of the reigning Ms. Olympia, Iris Kyle.  Now when you compare her to Dana above, I ask you which one of them is more feminine?  Which one looks more like a girl?  Iris Kyle has won for good reason given the criteria she has been judged by, I am not trying to take anything away from her, but the muscles she has developed look like men's muscles and it is because of the mass monster syndrome.  This is a far cry from the days of Cory Everson's (below) days as Ms. Olympia and because of it the popularity of women's bodybuilding has dipped:
As you can see there have been a lot of changes for women and in my humble opinion not for the better and the reaction has been to create a new class where proportion and symmetry are back in the game.  If the mass monsters had not pushed their game so hard and the judges gone along with it; it would have never happened.  It is a reaction to a takeover by the mass monsters and it is gaining steam.

2. This is supposed to be about health not big:  Ultimately the promoters of bodybuilding and fitness have always said that this is about health and being healthier.  My question is muscle obesity healthy?  When you get reports of guy so big they can hardly move, you begin to wonder.  Weight, regardless of where it is located (muscle or fat) is weight and it strains the heart.  What the characteristics of proportion and balance do is provide balance so a competitor has to work on other things besides size.  I believe flexibility and heart health should play a role and the new Physique classes take us back to the days of Jack LaLanne, Reg Park and other classic guys who we should honor as it was about health to them.

3. More options equals more participation:  What the sport of bodybuilding and fitness needs is growth and another class will do that.  One of the things that this is doing is giving more opportunity to people who would otherwise not really fit.  Dana Linn Bailey is  perfect example of this.  She is too big to place well in Figure (12th at the NPC Team Universe Championships in 2010) but she is too small to place well in women's bodybuilding.  Physique fits her very well because she has the right amount of form, symmetry and size for balance and she is not the only one in this situation.
 
While the classic bodybuilders on the men's side can gripe about it, it means that some of them can keep competing when the muscles shrink as the 'pretty boys' class can do just that.  Hey, if I could look like a men's model at age 60 and still compete in Physique, I would do it and I think a lot of other people are going to feel the same.

It ultimately equals more competitors and that means more fans.

4. Ultimately it is the fans that will decided what goes.  If people don't like it it will not be bought and it will go out of business.  For myself I am not sure about Men's Physique, but I know women's has my interest because that is the kind of muscle that I find appealing on a woman.  It is sexy muscle and that is why in women's competition, I think it will go very well.

IMHO

1 comment:

  1. So true...love this article. I know I want to compete, but if I don't naturally get huge it won't be at the pro bodybuilding level. I have nothing against bodybuilders who take roids and non natural hormone boosters, because as natural bodybuilder Nick Wright says it is a personal supplement choice. I truly think that if it their choice it is fine. However, my problem is they have serious issues with natural bodybuilders who choose not to make that supplement choice. It is a little unsettling to me. I think everyone should come together and do as you say, and that is focus on health. I'm gonna post this article link to some fitness pages it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete