Thursday, February 17, 2011

Muscular Development: March 2011 Issue - Review

The March 2011 issue of Muscular Development (MD) has one central focus: The upcoming Arnold Classic (March 3-6). MD has good reason to be excited about the Arnold Classic, as their editor points out, because they have a lot of their own bodybuilders in the mix. I will make my predictions for the Arnold next week, but there is a really good chance that a Team MD athlete will come out on top. I count five: Branch Warren, Dennis Wolf, Roelly Winklaar, Evan Centopani and Victor Martinez. The only front runners I see that are not MD for the Arnold are Dexter Jackson and possibly Toney Freeman.

Best Quote: "When it comes to weight, I think if you can't do it right, then don't do it" Lee Priest p.39. All Hail the Priest, he is dead on right.

Highlight Article: "The Countdown to Columbus: 2011 Arnold Preview" -- of them all, this magazine this month had the best Arnold coverage. Probably because they have the most at stake. They are tooting their own horn a bit, but I have to say I like Team MD's odds. (p. 138-149)

Best Regular Feature: 'Absolute-Lee Outrageous' -- That's right Lee Priest again. The fact is Lee Priest has the best regular feature month after month. His frank, no nonsense approach is pleasing and the way he handles questions is real. (p.38-39)

Notable Articles:
1. At the Back of any MD magazine is the section with the pros tips and articles that give a great advice. (p. 284-322)
2. In the middle of the the month's MD is also a bunch focus articles on each MD competitor for the Arnold Classic (p. 162-229)
3. "Going Old School: Donkey Calf Raises" -- I have to admit this one make me think that I should incorporate them into my routine, the only thing is I would have to draft my daughter or wife to sit on my back so I could do them.

Duds: 'The Ramblin' Freak' -- I really do not have anything against Gregg Valentino, and I understand this is supposed to be entertainment only stuff, but I just don't get the entertainment of this regular feature. Second month in a row - dud.

Graphics Review: MD is as dark as always, I think using black as a background color throughout the magazine is a mistake except for one thing - it makes the black and white photos, which MD excels at, stand out more. Some of the regular feature graphics are repetitive as always.

Rating: 3 and a half stars. For content MD would get a four start rating. However, because of the poor graphics and the content revolving around expletives and anabolics, I drop it a star. This month though, it is the king of the Arnold as far as preview coverage is concerned so back up one half star.

No comments:

Post a Comment