Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Arnold Classic 2011 Picks!

I am only going to pick for the big competition. Sorry Bikini, Figure, Fitness, Bodybuilding Women and 202 Men, I just don't know your competition criteria enough to make a call. The only reason I am even picking this is to see how well I am learning the sport and compare my thoughts to what happens.


The big news is of course that two time champ Kai Greene is sitting this one out and so is Phil Heath (being 2nd both at Olympia and Arnold last year). Jay Cutler being Mr. Olympia needs not apply. Last year's Heath vs. Greene will not repeat. That leaves things a little wide open. This is going to be a wild one with some very good and evenly matched competitors. Based on what I see, here is what I think should happen.


1. Branch Warren - Branch has been playing second fiddle long enough. Two 3rd places at Olympia the last two years and a second and 2 third place finishes at the Arnold over the last three years are his resume and without Heath, Greene or Cutler in front of him, he should win this one. He needs this one to make a statement going into Olympia 2011 so that is even more motivation.


2. Dexter Jackson: The 2008 Mr. Olympia and three time Arnold winner will add a second place trophy to his mantle. I really like Dexter but he is starting to have the air of veteran player who is starting to have his star slowly fall. Hopefully I am wrong and a Arnold win would definitely mark him as back in the game, but I have to say second.


3. Dennis Wolf: Dennis Wolf has regained his momentum and is heading forward with his 'no more gurus' approach. I think it earns him a 3rd slot barely. He is a guy who can challenge the top two and if he has a great day could definitely pass them.


4. Victor Martinez: Victor needs this one and a top finish at Arnold would put him back in the big game as well. He seems to be rebounding from his leg injury very well and if he can get it together he could win this one with a little help.


5. Ronny Rockel: Ronny finished sixth last year. I would normally say then it would be fourth place for the German with Greene and Heath out. The problem I see is a resurgent Wolf and Martinez. He is going to have to be perfect to finish better than fifth.


6. Toney Freeman: I love the X-Man and in a perfect world where symmetry and frame mattered as much as size, Toney should be in the top three. However this is not a perfect world.


7. Evan Centopani: After two years off Evan is going to be the guy that rises to the top over the next decade. Finishing this high would be a good start.


8. Roelly Winklaar: 'The Dutch Beast' is getting better, I just don't see him having that little something extra that takes him past the guys I have listed above him.


9. Sergey Shelestov: The Russian Born Canadian will lead the rest of the field. He is my dark horse in a sense because I feel he will finish this high. I like his physique it reminds me a little of Nasser El-Sonbaty.


10. Ben Pakulski: Like Ben as well, but he is going to have to be spot on to beat some of these veterans.


11. Fouad Abaid: This guy's classic looks should serve him well.


12. Jonnie Jackson: The worlds strongest bodybuilder of 2009 will be hard pressed in this field.


13. Mohammed Touri: This guy looks great, but a veteran field will sweep him away. Give him a few years and he will challenge someone.


14. Robert Poitrkowicz: I think this guy slips this year.


15. Essa Obaid: A lot of people are going nuts for this guy, I don't see why myself. Maybe its the hair.


Well that is it. I guess we will see how it comes out on March 5th. I hope I do OK, but I have only been bodybuilding myself for a year and a half and following the sport for a couple years. We will see how it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment