Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Muscular Development - February 2011 Issue - Review

Muscular Development (MD) can probably be summed up in two words -- 'hardcore bodybuilding'. It is the uncensored, raw commentary of the bodybuilding world. It's style is very much in your face and it lives up to the motto of 'No Bullsh*t'. It does not steer away from topics such as drugs, steroids or sex. It has the latest research and trends in the world of bodybuilding. I will be honest, it is a little too much over the top. To me it lacks the class of Musclemag, but is downright honest in its approach and so it remains my second favorite to read.


It seems each issue has two basic themes -- hardcore training and GET BIG. This one is no exception.
Best Quote: "Bodybuilding to me is about self-exploration and discovery, so it never made sense to me to watch all those pro DVDs and just copy what they do" - Jason Huh (the guy on the cover). To which I can give a hearty 'Amen'.
Highlight Article: "TotaLee Awesome" p. 298-300 -- this is a new regular column and I hope it is here to stay. The eight-time Mr. Olympia is dead on about the current problems in bodybuilding contests in which size matters more than everything else.
Notable Articles:
1. 'Quad Damn It!' -- Holy Crap what a leg workout -- no wonder Jason Huh has such BIG legs for his age.
2. 'Championship Chest Workout' - Fred Small and Branden Ray show us their chest workout they did together. Lots of good options and advice in this one.
3. Regular Features: This is the one and only time I will do this -- I am giving all the regular features a thumbs up. From now on I will pick one but the fact is MD is packed full of good information in the regular features.
Duds:
'The Ramblin' Freak' -- this is supposed to be a 'for entertainment only article' but I rarely find it entertaining -- seems to be just an excuse to use the f-word a lot.
Graphic Content: if there is one thing that annoys me about this magazine the most is that every page is black with color on it. It makes it dark and repetitive. Some of the stock graphics look die cut. The photos are good but everything is dark. The feature articles are well done with good photos but the graphics never change for the regular features. This month the Major Distraction is Jennifer Andrews and she is distracting in a catch your eye, 'that looks very good' way. Did I mention the mag is dark. I suppose the goal is looking hardcore, but I don't think hardcore necessarily means depressing.
Rating: I give this mag high marks for content and depth. It is indeed the 'no bullsh*t' magazine in the world of bodybuilding including when dealing with subjects such as drugs and steroids. The graphics though (Other than the Major Distraction) make me put it down often to rest my eyes. Three and a half stars.

4 comments:

  1. LOL! Paula you are always welcome even when you dislike my stuff.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor ED I want You to know I am reading all of your Blog's. You are a wise man. You challenge me to think outside of what has been beat into my head. A certain Daughter does the same thing. I am learning to be open to new thinking. While all of the while hanging on to My Love for God. Thank You Bill Scofield

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill,
    Objective achieved! All I long for is a whiteboard, and with every Christian paying attention, so I can write one word -- "THINK"

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete